LRA - Head of Department
Adcocks is an award winning niche property practice with its headquarters now in the Cathedral City of Lichfield. We also have an office (not open full time) in Birmingham City Centre and plan to have a similar facility in Central London later this year.
Employing close to 20 staff, the firm can trace its roots back to 1910 when Leonard Hedley Adcock started in business as a general practitioner in West Bromwich. Now a specialist practice undertaking mainly property work, the firm is well known for its Leasehold reform and enfranchisement work, employing 8 full time and part time fee earners working directly in this area (including a chartered surveyor who carries out the valuation work).
Work comes from the greater Midlands area – we are the only ALEP member in Central England at present – and increasingly, from London. Our bulk lease extension work is growing at a considerable pace and we are expecting a significant increase in the amount of work we handle relating to statutory claims for freeholds and Right to manage work, as changes in the law take effect.
The Leaseholders Roadshows we held during 2019 have proved a great success (one in our home town as a test and one later in Central Birmingham) and we are planning a series of regional Roadshows in 2020 and 2021 probably to include some London Boroughs. These Roadshows, running alongside the many bespoke presentations we make to interested leaseholder groups over the UK (both personally and virtually) has affirmed our place in this specialist area. We were the proud recipients of the Regional Law firm of the Year Award at the Enfranchisement and Right to Manage Awards held in 2019.
We have seen sustained and positive growth in our work. Apart from the work that we get as a result of our limited advertising platforms, referrals come from satisfied existing clients, other solicitors and professionals and because we are the only firm in the greater Midlands area carrying out this type of work. We expect work to grow substantially over the next 5 years, especially following the introduction of proposed new legislation improving the positon of leaseholders to claim their rights.
Adcocks follows an ethical position. We encourage all our staff to promote the firms values, take an interest in its running and follow a healthy and active lifestyle. Adcocks are business supporters of PETA (the Peoples Foundation for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) and we have our own voluntary group, (The Adcocks Charitable Foundation) which staff are encourage to support. Its aims are to encourage animal welfare and to protect and improve the environment.
About the area
Lichfield is a pleasant Staffordshire town with a mediaeval cathedral and with excellent road and rail links. Both the A5 and A38 trunk roads pass through the district, the M6 toll road junction is about one mile from the centre and the main line station from Euston to Manchester and Liverpool stops (at Trent Valley) a short walk from the town centre. There is another station (City station) in the City centre running regular services to Birmingham Grand Central and beyond. The town has a variety of interesting shops cafes and bars, and a theatre and is a popular tourist destination. There is a good supply of residential property in the area and outlying villages.
About The Job
Mark Adcock, the firm’s senior director, who is due to retire from full time practice in 2021, currently leads the enfranchisement department. Whilst he will continue as a consultant and assist in the development and promotion of the work we do, we are looking to find a replacement to fill this challenging and stimulating role in good time to allow ultimate succession to take place.
The work in the department consists primarily of:
- Right to manage cases
- Right to enfranchise cases
- 1967 Act freehold claims
- Section 5 L&T Act 1987 offer cases
- Statutory and voluntary lease extensions
- Corporate and secretarial support work
- Bulk lease extensions
- Lease variations under the L&T Act 1985
- Ground rent portfolio work
- Portfolio management work
The department currently consists of:
- Director with responsibility
- The departmental head (vacant)
- A consultant with wide experience in this area of work
- A consultant chartered surveyor
- A part time assistant solicitor
- A full time paralegal about to start a training contract but expected to be retained on a full time basis following admission.
- A full time paralegal
- A part time paralegal
- Secretarial support
In addition, and contemplating the growth we anticipate in this department, we expect to make two additional appointments over the next 6 to 9 months:
- A full-time assistant solicitor directly repsonsbile to the Head of the department
- An additional part time Chartered surveyor
As head of the department the responsibilities will include:
- Assistance with marketing and development of the department
- Taking of new enquiries and follow up
- Organising and participating in presentations to leaseholder groups
- Supervision of the fee earners in the department including their assessment and review
- Conduct of the most complex casework and matters
- Distribution of new work
- Review of files on a periodic basis and assessment of financial outputs
- Preparation of periodic technical releases for internal and external use
- Reporting to directors
- Management of department and efficient working practices
- Training of team members
About the person
You may have spent part of your employed time in a London firm but that is not a specific requirement for eligibility. You will, however, have a good grounding in all areas of our work and have undertaken a significant case load of the type of work we do. You will probably already be managing a team of lawyers doing this work or ready to take on your first such post.
You will be keen to make your mark on this challenging, rewarding and changing area of our work. You will be:
- Driven to succeed
- Organised and with a high level of attention to detail in your work
- Personable and a good leader
- Keen to achieve
- Willing to work hard to grow the department and promote its success across the region and into London
- Comfortable talking to groups of potential clients
- Willing to follow and promote the firms ethos
- Perceptive, a good listener and ready to integrate
You will have:
- At least 5 years pqe in this area of work
- A 2:1 Law degree though candidates with a lower level of degree will still be considered
- The option to work from home for part of your week if necessary though attendance at the office will be essential to manage the team
- A clean driving licence
The important part
Salary will be assessed according to experience but we are anticipating that the salary will be substantial to reflect the seniority and importance of this position, with a performance driven team bonus scheme, employer’s contribution to a NEST pension scheme, 25 days holiday in addition to the office and statutory holidays and your practising fee paid. Consideration will be given to the payment of relocation expenses for the right candidate.
What to do next
If you are interested in applying for this position we invite you to contact us. You should complete and send to us your CV. Please email it in confidence to Nikki Evans our practice manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
Alternatively you may wish to have an informal and confidential chat to us especially if there are questions you would like us to answer. Please call us on 01543 442100. Please ask for Nikki Evans our Practice Manager or Mark Adcock our senior director.
What happens then?
Once we have received your application we will arrange a time for an initial telephone interview. We will talk to you generally about your application and answer any questions about the role. Following that we will then arrange a time for you to meet with us. At that interview we are likely to ask you to choose a subject to talk about, to demonstrate your suitability for this post. We may also ask you to make a short presentation on a subject of our choosing. You will have ample time to prepare for that before we meet.
Please note the closing date for applications is the 21 February 2020.
We look forward to hearing from you.